-

Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 October 2014

I went to Saudi Arabia to beg for alms - Kano State street begger

Street beggars in Kano State has called on their state government to help them quit begging by proving them with means of livelihood to sustain them and their family.
 
One of the beggar, Malam Bada Mazi Bilya said he travels weekly from his village Wudil in Kano to Kano city to beg for alms so as to be able to take care of his family. A female beggar amongst them said she resulted to begging after the death of her husband.
 
Another young beggar, Usman Baba, explained that he went to Saudi Arabia to beg for alms but was deported by the Saudi authorities. "I cannot survive without begging because I don’t have a skill or capital to start a business. "My friends said the state government provides generators, tables, chairs and an amount of money for beggars to start phone-charging business. "But it is better if the government can take me somewhere to learn a skill than to give me a generator because if I am given, I will sell it,’’
 
 

 
The beggars then appealed to the relevant authorities to come to their aid by helping them to acquire skills so as to enable them quit begging.  In spite of the ban on street begging in Kano State, many beggars are still seen on the street begging for alms.
 
 Source:  Vanguard
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment